free college text book
parts of speech
In English there are nine parts of speech. Parts of speech describe how words are used in a sentence.
The parts of speech in English are:
- nouns: a person, place, thing, or idea
- pronouns: substitutes for a noun
- verbs: expresses action or state of being
- interjections: expresses strong emotion or fills pauses
- articles: the, a, an
- adjectives: modifies a noun
- adverbs: modifies a verb, an adjective, or another adverb
- prepositions: shows the relationship (links) between a noun (or words or phrases acting like a noun) and the rest of the sentence
- conjunctions: connects words, phrases, or clauses
Most words can function as more than one part of speech, depending on context. Additionally, many words can be modified with endings that change the part of speech.
Credits: Copyright © 2008 Milo of www.ThisSideofSanity.com.
If you have comments or suggestions, please contact contact00@ThisSideofSanity.com and label your message parts of speech.
Return to table of contents.
free English text book project
Building a free downloadable text book on English composition for university, college, community college, and high school classes.
If you like the idea of this project,
then please donate some money.
send donations to:
PO Box 1361
Tustin, California 92781
Copyright © 2008 Milo
Last Updated: September 1, 2008
Created: July 30, 2008, from work November 11, 2007
Author of free English text book web pages: contact00@ThisSideofSanity
If you write, please label your message as Parts of Speech to help separate it from SPAM (which gets tossed unread).